Self Catering Cabin in the South of Isle of Skye
There is a compost toilet and a shower available. (pictures coming soon)
The land on Rubha Phoil provides many treasures to explore. You can see many pictures here .
Our cabin is located in a young permaculture community in Rubha Phoil. The Community is located in 15 acres of the most stunning beauty you can find on Skye: Woodland, cliffs, stony beaches and stunning views. We share the ecosystem with, 75+ species of birds, otters, a seal colony, deer and many others. If you are lucky you can even see dolphins or whales.
All very easily accessible from the ferry from Mallaig.
Please note: We offer a back to nature experience with compost toilets, not 5*
The cabin is a cosy and clean space with a fridge, kettle and toaster and electrical heater. Outside in a little separate cabin is a small simple kitchen for your convenience. Your stay is self catering and you need to bring your own bedding. If that is a problem, we can help, but please let us know in advance.
Outside your cabin, you can have a bonfire or a barbecue or you can go to one of our many other fire pits on the land or our beaches.
Inside are 3 benches with comfortable cushions, with the ability to make a really large bed. It can sleep 5 people. Ideal for a family or group of friends.
You will have the cabin, the fireplace and the small kitchen all to yourself. The compost toilet and shower is about 50 meter walk, which is shared with the community. The facilities are cleaned and disinfected daily.
Other things good to know
Rubha Phoil is a community. There is almost always someone on the land somewhere, being busy. We’re always just a phone call or text message away. We give you a phone number and pass the phone around in the community.
– The site is under new ownership and management. We feel really lucky to live here. Please give us feedback on how we can improve our service.
– We have installed a new temporary compost toilet as the toilet shower building needs upgrading. We are building a new block at the moment. It should be ready soon. The one we have at the moment are very clean but need improvement. Please don’t expect 5*****.
– It is self catering. Please bring your own food. The Isle of Skye is an island. There is a hotel nearby and a small shop. The nearest supermarket and ATM is 17 miles.
– You need to bring your own sheets and blankets or sleeping bags. If that is a problem, we can help, but please let us know in advance. The cushions are comfortable mattresses.
– You can drive a car to the Cabin to unload. But the car needs to be parked in our private car park.
– Please try to keep noise to at a minimum, especially between 10pm and 8am. Loud electronic music does not fit in well in our environment.
– Please respect our nature. We are passionate about that.
– Only make fires in the designated fire pits (ringed with stones) There is a lot of peat on our land which is flammable and can burn for a long time under ground!
– Please do not collect your own firewood from the woods, and do not cut or harm any trees.
– Please do not burn anything other than wood (or paper to start the fire). Seasoned wood is available from the reception for £6 per bag. We also have charcoal. Or you are welcome to buy or bring your own untreated wood or charcoal. If you order them now, they will be ready for you when you arrive.
– Keep to footpaths or enjoy the beach.
– Supervise children so that they can enjoy the freedom of the outdoors without causing damage (eg. climbing trees with thin branches…..).
– Sorry, but no dogs on Rubha Phoil. This a sensitive area of natural beauty with gardens and food growing. We want to avoid disturbing our lifestock, wildlife and other visitors.
– No hen or stag parties. If getting drunk is your idea of a nice holiday, this is probably not the best place to come to.
– No drones please.
The West coast of Scotland can be really wet and windy. Check the weather forecast. The ferry can get cancelled, though there is also a bridge.
We are used to summer midges and ticks. Come ask us for advice if you need it.
We have tick twisters, midge repellent, midge hats and a few other essential camping gear for sale if you need it.
Rubha Phoil is part of a beautiful village of Ardvasar. There is a hotel with pub, a post office and a few exquisite gift shops.
It is located very close to the ferry.
A mile away is the seat of Clan Donald with the museum, ruined castle and beautiful gardens and 3 miles from Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, the famous Gaelic College.
There are many stunning walks for all levels of fitness.
More local info is here